If you are new to UUMAN or been coming for many years you may have wondered from time to time “how UUMAN is organized?”. It is a great question and one that I am going to try to answer in this post.
At a high-level, in its simplest form, UUMAN has two primary parts – Governance and Ministry.
- Governance is responsible for: articulating mission, selecting major goals & strategies, making sure strategy is followed, delegating power & holding them accountable, and protecting people & property.
- Ministry is responsible for: the daily practical work of delivering on the Mission and Vision of UUMAN including building community, managing resources, transforming lives, delivering programs, making decisions about what to do and how to do it.
- The UUMAN Board of Trustees is responsible for Governance and is supported by the Standing Committees. The Standing Committees gather information, draft policies, propose and make recommendations.
- The UUMAN Staff (both professional and lay) working with the Ministry Teams and Program Council is responsible for Ministry.
- The Congregation supports both Governance and Ministry by:
- giving of their time and talent on Standing Committees, the Program Council and Ministry Teams,
- nominating and electing new Board members each year and
- participating in the annual planning process to define priorities and goals