UUMAN Board Meeting Minutes
October 26, 2017
Attendees: Elizabeth Rohan, Bob Popp, Dave Dunn, Jim Nickens, Laura Keck
These Consent Agenda Items were accepted.
Special Projects report
Status of Action Items from September board meeting:
- Dave Dunn to send UUMAN announcement about Living the Pledge workshops with dates. – Completed
- Randy Blasch to report the availability of the Think Orange session materials, including uploaded videos. – Not Completed; Materials not yet available.
- Toniann Read to send reminders about 10/18 one-day sale for the April conference. – Completed
- Jim Nickens will lead a Special Project on identifying plans for a crisis situation such as Irma. – Work in Progress; Include updates in Special Projects Report moving forward
- Elizabeth Rohan to contact Merri Beth Stephens about adding the Program Council minutes as a monthly consent item. Completed. Randy will include Merri Beth/Program Council on his list when he requests monthly consent items.
- All board members are to read the WSC handout before the October board mtg. – Bob and Jim to review.
- Bob and Dave will coordinate a Beer with Board Event – Not Completed
- Randy will draft an invitation to parents of young children about a family get-together with the board. Toniann will then send it to the families with a request that they reply directly to the board. – Randy has completed the letter and will forward to Toniann for distribution this week.
- Posting of Board Agenda & Minutes on UUMAN Website – Still no update. I’ve escalated with Kelly and Carolina, but no updates
Bylaws discussion (Questions to identify areas for improvement)
- Re Congregational meetings (184.108.40.206) “’Roberts Rules of Order’ shall govern all debates” – does this need to be in Bylaws? Is this what we do? Are we trained in using them?
- Board of Trustees – add program council revisions
- Board of Trustees – “any individual Trustee may be removed from office with or without cause by a majority vote of the Full Members.”
- Membership revocation – death and loss of contact should be listed separately?
- Standing Committees – Do tenure and rotation need to be in bylaws?
- Program Council language can be more flexible
- “The board will take responsibility for reading the Program Council minutes”?
- Who has authority to grant or remove membership? Completion of “Path to membership, including UU 101” is not in bylaws.
- Re Art 3 sect 6.3, proxy voting. Do we need this, given the new lower requirements for a quorum?
- What is a “vote without a meeting?
- Art 4.1 “The Board shall invite the Youth Adult Committee to send a Senior Youth of the Congregation to serve as a standing representative to the Board.”
- Can non-full members, such as associate members, or even visitors, attend board meetings?
- Art 220.127.116.11 “Any trustee may waive notice of any meeting.”
- Does VP always have to chair Personnel Committee and the President chair Leadership Development? Can these role assignments be more flexible?
Dave suggested that the board prioritize work on revisions to standing committees, since they report to the board. In particular, the Finance Committee and Endowment Committee need to be added as standing committees. All board members are to review section on standing committees and propose changes.
Standing Committee Liaisons and Meeting Commitments
Board liaisons need to follow up with the Standing Committee leaders on status of action items:
Dave is liaison for Committee on Ministry and Healthy Congregations.
Bob is liaison for Finance and Endowment.
Elizabeth is liaison for Personnel and Program Council.
Jim is liaison for Leadership Development.
Randy is liaison for Long Range Planning.
Living the Pledge – Lyn May and Shelley Nagrani will lead Living the Pledge. Small-group facilitators will also be sought for group discussions. Provisions will need to be made for food.
Premo Update – Premo is due to sign their 2018 contract on Dec 1. UUMAN’s Premo committee has been tasked with developing a policy for interactions of UUMAN members with Premo and how Premo will use the UUMAN facilities.
Hearing Loop – The new hearing loop for the sanctuary will be installed Monday, October 30.
Birch contract cancellation and recent bills – We are still getting Birch bills. Bob to check with Steve Smith to see if Birch equipment has been returned.
Volunteer recognition to be added to agenda next month.
Next board meeting is Nov 16 at 7pm.
- Bob and Jim to review WSC document.
- Bob and Dave will coordinate a Beer with Board Event
- All board members to review section on standing committees and propose changes.
- Board liaisons need to follow up with the Standing Committee leaders on status of action items.
- Bob to check with Steve Smith to see if Birch equipment has been returned.
- Randy to add volunteer recognition to agenda next month.
Reminders for Future Discussion (Future Agenda Items)
Board Overarching Goals
- A community where every member is connected and engaged
- A community whose numbers and influence are growing
- A vehicle of service to our community and the world
- Radically multigenerational in all we do.
- Volunteer Recognition
- Action Plan for World Crisis
- Bylaws Revision
- Create/Enhance Service Culture Within UUMAN
- Oversight of Program Council’s Progress Toward Overarching Goals
- Reclaim our Humanity from Racism and Oppression
Congregation Open Questions:
- Where is Unitarian Universalism in the universal story of Roswell?
- What will UUMAN look like on its 50th anniversary?
- What would our children’s children ask of us now?
- How can UUMAN save the planet?
- What does UUMAN need right now?
- Why did you come to UUMAN?
- What does being a UU Mean to you?
- Cards inserted in the back of sanctuary chairs
- Committee Check-In/Engagement
- Cottage Meetings (at UUMAN or in homes)
- Website (i.e. email@example.com)
- Form on Website
- Stewardship Campaign
- Faith-In-Action Station
- UUMAN Storycore/Interview
- Board One-to-One Conversations
- Breakfast/Lunch with the Board
- Engage Non-UUs (e.g. Premo, Family Promise, etc.)